Upgrade to Ubuntu 10.10 and ATI-graphics

If you read this before you upgrade Ubuntu to 10.10. Remove/inactivate all your binary drivers before you upgrade.

If you read this after you upgrade Ubuntu to 10.10 and get a messy screen so you do not see anything and can't login. Reboot your computer in failsafe mode. Select to become root and do:
apt-get install fglrx
I also remembered that I got in the last installation phase at the upgrade a complaint about problem removing fglrx. Why do I suggest to install fglrx when we actually have a problem to remove it? Well it is easy. Since it was half installed and I could not remove it, then I tried to install it again. I saw it installed dkms and compiled a new version of the driver for my kernel.

I will now try to run the open source variant instead. I hate closed source, it is only problems.

Comments

Anonymous said…
What can you do if you read this *after* you upgrade?
Magnus Runesson said…
Read the second paragraph is a good start.

Popular posts from this blog

Create your own CA with TinyCA2 (part 1)

Create your own CA with TinyCA2 (part 3)

Create your own CA with TinyCA2 (part 2)