Weather Station X-mas present

I've got a Weather Station WS-2036 from my wife as X-mas present. It can measure temperature, pressure, wind speed and direction, and rain. The best of all, it is possible to connect to a PC using the serial port. It is bought in the Swedish shop Jula and is working with Linux and Ubuntu.

Of course the package says nothing about Linux, Julas site says nothing, Heavy weathers site which the package refers to is equal bad. After some investigation I found out the the manufacture is actually La Crosse. All La Crosse weather stations WS-23XX should be compatible with the free software open2300.

Since I now have got my first moment alone since I got it I took the chance to test it. I reinstalled my lab-machine with Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon). Installed the build-essential package. Downloaded Open2300 and compiled it, just write make. It worked out of the box. I think Open2300 will be a good candidate for me to provide through Ubuntu PPA.

Open2300 contains a kit of different small tools that reads data from the weather station. The most useful is fetch2300, xml2300. The first one reads data from the weather station and prints it to the screen. The other one writes an XML-file with the current data from the station. From here it will be quite easy to make my own presentation layer. There are also some php-scripts for presentation, which I have not looked into yet.

It seams to exist a lot of tools for presenting weather data and sites that collect those data. I will have to look in to those.

I must also mention that I got a cool BCD-clock from my wife's sister and boyfriend and a Photo frame from my sister and here family. I also got a bunch of nice cooking stuff etc, but since this is my tech-nerd blog I won't write more about them here.

Comments

Unknown said…
Thank you for the info on Weather station, Linux and the link to Open2300.
I am a newbie and have chosen to set up a weather station at home as my first major project.
Timm
(South Carolina, USA)
Anonymous said…
Have you had a chance to check out http://www.wviewweather.com/

Very nice light weight weather for Linux.
Unknown said…
I simply rely upon www.starcityenterprises.com site for buying Weather Stations, Anemometer, Brethlyzers Battery Chargers etc. They provide efficient service and delivery.

Popular posts from this blog

Circles in PostGIS

Create your own CA with TinyCA2 (part 1)

Create your own CA with TinyCA2 (part 2)