I have committed a sin

Yesterday I committed a sin. I registered an account for Microsoft messenger. The reason is that some colleges using MSN and one of them will be home for child care after X-mas and work one day from home. So we needed a faster way to communicate.
I could not commit the sin without trouble so it looks like Microsoft and I agree with each other that our road must not be crossed unnecessarily. When I tried to install Microsofts own client it required that my client got upgraded. Since my computer at work is upgraded centrally I could not do that without installing Microsofts update client. If I do that I am on my own and my sysadmins will just wipe out my disk if I asks for help. The solution was to install Pidgin. The next problem was to register for a passport account, since I do not want a Hotmail account. It took a while to find the right place.

After an hour or so I was up and running. I must point out that I only use MSN for work, not for pleasure. The main reason I feel that using MS messenger is a sin is that the protocol is closed and not an open standard.

Our build continuous system support sending messages through Jabber/XMPP with results from the build. I hope I will get inspired to set up a Jabber server at work. My colleagues have promised to convert to jabber when I got it to work.

Can anyone recommend a good Jabber-server that is good, easy to install and runs on Linux?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Circles in PostGIS

Create your own CA with TinyCA2 (part 1)

Create your own CA with TinyCA2 (part 2)